[openbeos] Re: Checkins

  • From: "Jarle Nygård" <jarlenygard@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2004 00:36:44 GMT

Michael Phipps wrote:
> In any case... The GNU manpages are a good starting point (at least) for GNU
> apps. But there are a whole bunch of BeOS specific apps that we need
> documentation for, too. So there are lots of opportunities for writers.

When I first read this I read it as: we need a common 'framework' for
documentation for ALL BeOS apps, not just GNU command line apps, but also BeOS
commandline and BeOS GUI apps. Reading all the various replys it looks like
we're only talking about command line stuff, are we ?

The thing is, as somebody else mentioned, with XML you can easily produce both
text output (console) and more graphical output (PDF, xHTML). So if all apps in
BeOS were to use the same Schema, and thus the same XSL-Ts, you'd have a common
ground for all documentation on the plattform.

As for a viewer of these 'help'/documentation files, a custom build of Mozilla
would do the trick. After all you don't really need alot of functionality...