[openbeos] Re: Checkins

  • From: Michael Phipps <mphipps1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Jun 2004 08:45:13 -0400

Yes, the man pages are there.
Actually, there is something of an opportunity for us, here...
One of the places that BeOS, IMHO, fell flat on its face was the lack of man
or something like it. Yes, I know I can build my own man (or download one)
and go and get the appropos man pages and stick them somewhere and make it
sort of work...

And I would troutslap anyone who tells me that we should continue in that
vein. :-) That is the Linux way. The BeOS way would be to have them all ready
to roll in some convenient format.

One choice is man. Another would be HTML. We could include Lynx or something.
I am sure that there are other formats out there that could work, too, but I
would bet that HTML is going to be a pretty good choice. The criteria, I
think would be:
1) Must work from the command line
2) Format must be hyperlinkable
3) Must be *reasonably* compact in format
4) Viewer can not be enormous
5) A GUI app would be nice. HTML might make sense, here, because they could
be an additional directory to the OpenBeOS Book

In any case... The GNU manpages are a good starting point (at least) for GNU
apps. But there are a whole bunch of BeOS specific apps that we need
documentation for, too. So there are lots of opportunities for writers.

I guess I would advise anyone who wants to undertake that sort of a journey
to work in HTML. It is pretty easily parsible and we can convert it to
whatever final format we choose (if it isn't HTML, which I would lean toward).

Michael