[openbeos] Re: Checkins

  • From: Tim Hutt <tdh29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2004 21:13:00 +0000

Jared Eldredge wrote:

Oh no, please no lynx. I like "man" but only for its informations not for its usability. I think we should have a "man" command that just opens the HTML page with the standard web browser.
It would even be more convenient as it wouldn't block the terminal.

personally, i think this would be A Bad Idea. i can't imagine how frustrated a person could become when, connected via telnet, the man command simply spawns a browser on the box. sitting locally at the machine i can agree with axel - net+ is way better than viewing_with/blocking the terminal. but remote connections via telnet require something other than _just_ a GUI browser option. perhaps i over-use telnet? -jared

Well, why not just have the 'help' command... (not 'man' - 'help' is more obvious) check whether the gui is available, and if not, spawn lynx or something.