[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

  • From: "SMC.Collins" <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 May 2011 15:09:31 +0000 (UTC)

----- Original Message -----
From: "Fredrik Holmqvist" <fredrik.holmqvist@xxxxxxxxx>
To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, May 3, 2011 8:24:55 AM
Subject: [haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

2011/5/3 Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
>  ACPI is effecting many many tickets in Trac IIRC, from AMD boot problems to
> usb functionality to battery states.

People tend to think it is a ACPI-issue as soon as Haiku don't boot correctly.
ACPI is in quite good shape. There are still issues, but many of these
problems are often not because of ACPI.
Most of them are from setting up interrupts and interrupt handling
which has nothing to do with ACPI other than that it is a lot easier
to do if you use ACPI's functionality.

So if we are to put up contracts I'd rather see them focus on driver
improvements, resource management and interrupt handling.

Btw if you have spare time and the skills to hack in these areas you
are needed. (You don't really need that much prior knowledge.)

/Fredrik Holmqvist, TQH

Hi, Frederick

  Sadly I do not have the needed ability to do this. I was only repeating what
the many comments on trac had stated in ticket ticekts 5, 5551, 7478, 7378 and
more plus "older tickets  and duplicates " 6526 ,6222 ,7477 ,6026 ,6191
,6835 and more  . I have glanced through the specs fo ACPI and IOAPCI and
honestly its way over my head. Not to mention I don't know the innard of the
kernel and if I did it i'd want to work in assembly "only language I have any
competency in" which would take forever.

   Point being is that the interupt issues are cuasing a great deal of non
functionality. In essence it is a driver problem. Why not fix it and solve a
whole bunch of tickets blocking A3/B1 etc  ? I think of the tickets listed in
the op's email that at least  a good chunk of those were in relation  to IRQ
issues. Theres a bunch of USB and Wifi cards and other devices that depend on
this problem being resolved as well.

   At some point its gonna have to be fixed isn't it ?

     everybody have a good day !

  Sean