[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:51:46 +0000

Miroslav Stimac wrote:
Hello Arnold,

I think the same. It is better to wait a bit longer than to release a version
that has some critical bugs. I remember that there was a very serious
installation problem in the Alpha 2 release. Therefore may people had to use
nightly builds. We should avoid such a catastrophy, especially because it may
harm the reputation of the Haiku.

One other thing:
How about if we release two versions of R1 Alpha 3?
Version 1: Haiku R1 Alpha 3 GCC 2 Hybrid
Version 2: Haiku R1 Alpha 3 GCC 4 Hybrid with a games package

When we look at haikuware.com, games are very popular, for example HOMM 2 is at
ranking 1 of the TOP downloads list.
We may make Haiku more popular if we have some ready-to-play games in a
package. It is not necessary to have many games, but a few nice ones and maybe
a few emulators, too.
Games are a wonderful way to demonstrate the multimedia features of an
operating system.

What do you think?

Best wishes,
Miroslav Stimac

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Waiting with this release for two weeks is by far preferrable over
having a release on the site with a couple of annoying "would have
been easy to fix" faults for many months.

Regards,

Arnold
Interested computeruser.

Noting Adrien's oter post regarding this and the concerns about disc space, how about a separate iso file with a collection of known function games with the required libs, just unzip and play.

could achieve the aim of both party's while respecting the boundary of the disc size limitation. sort of a link to a ready to go Cd

 Call it

Additional software and games for Haiku OS. or something similar, maybe even put in a link on the desktop for web positive. similar to the welcome file on the desktop now.

 just a thought.