[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

  • From: Sean Collins <smc.collins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 11:48:49 +0000

Adrien Destugues wrote:
NO.
* The disk is already more than 700MB, so we can't add anything to the alpha ; * You don't need a GCC4 hybrid to play games if they are built properly. Games that fail to run on a GCC2 hybrid are broken and should be rebuilt properly. * We have enough bugs to fix and enough trouble getting valuable information from the users. Having to handle reports for two different versions of Haiku asks for even more trouble.

Maybe we should define a QA process for "Haiku Compatible" logo on some software ; now that we have alpha releases, this should be possible.

I think a QA process or a building guideline with directory enforcement would make things much better for the end users. You can lightly enforce this with, as you suggested, some sort of "Haiku Compatible" logo. IIRC windows used to have a similar "windows approved/certified" logo in the mid to early 1990's.

Certainly couldn't hurt. also maybe drop the gcc4h support from the compiler. Just enforce the gcc2h, that should help with the other complaints you mentioned.

also as a for instance I installed some game and I now have a .config folder on my system, which makes the directory tree a mess.

 Sean