[haiku-development] Re: Alpha 3 : better late than never

  • From: Adrien Destugues <pulkomandy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 18:21:51 +0100

Le 29/05/2011 17:14, Jim Saxton a écrit :
Yes, this is the main problem. It's easy to solve : forget about the gcc4
and>gcc4hybrid versions of Haiku, and use the officially supported one only.
No need for symlinks all over the place.
By hosting gcc4 hybrid images, Haiku has efectively made two
distrobutions. It is too late now, the cat is out of the bag. There
are the gcc2 hybrid distrobution and the gcc4 hybrid distrobution.
Haiku will be juged by the usefullness of both distrobutions. The
Haiku devs can ignore one and be juged poorly, or support both and
have a better image.

No, it doesn't work that way. If you look at what is released, you will see that the alphas are always and have always been built as gcc2hybrid. Using anything else is not officially supported, and never was. It happens that Build'O'Matic still tests both configuration. The reason is not we want the images to be shared, but we want to ensure they still work, as that provides better code coverage (gcc4 detects some programming errors that gcc2 doesn't). As the images are built anyway, we decided to make them available. They are also of some help when finding a bug that may be compiler-related (it's easy to try the other compiler on the same codepath). But, these images are for testing purposes. You're free to use them, but don't ask for support.

There isn't a flavour more useful than the other, they both allow you to do the very same things, so I don't see why people would want to move to the gcc4h one.

--
Adrien.