[haiku-depot-web] Re: Introduction article

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 12:03:11 +0200

Hi,

Am 31.08.2014 um 00:05 schrieb Andrew Lindesay <apl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi Stephan;
>
>>> Last night, I've got the bulk transfers going, and since those tell me
>> Done.
>
> ^^^ That's all really great!! :-)  If you get stuck or need clarifications on
> the API, just let me know!

There is one thing I am wondering about, and it’s to do with package
architectures. When invoking the getPkg method, I know the architecture of the
package I am asking. When using getBulkPkg, there is only one architecture
field for all requested packages. It appears that all the _source packages are
not found by the web app, and I am thinking it may be due to the architecture
(„any“ ?) they provide (and I am asking for „x86_gcc2“). In theory, I could try
to do bulk transfers grouped by architecture, but of course that would make the
code more complicated. I wonder why the architecture has to be provided at all.
Isn’t the web-app connected to a single repository, so the names should be
already unique. Even if there are multiple repositories later, package names
should never clash and if two repositories have packages of the same name, they
should be a single entry in the web app anyway. In the web-app, it’s somewhat
similar - why do we have to select the architecture, instead of - for example -
filtering by architecture? One could see all architectures mixed in the list by
default.

I also have some suggestion for working with the web app interface. I think it
would be great to see small icons (or letters in the first iteration) in the
package list view which indicate what sort of information is already filled out
for the package. „C“ for categories, „I“ for icons, „S“ for screenshots, „T“
for translations. For the T, there could be a hover tooltip listing the
translation’s language codes. Actually, the same hover tips could be used for
the other indicators. This would accomplish two things: Show directly in the
list which packages need work, and via the hover tips, it would allow a quick
peaking into the information.

I am also wondering whether providing some info could be done with less layers.
The icon could be set by drag & drop into the browser perhaps, maybe even the
screenshots could be added this way. And the categories could also display in a
box directly on the package page. That way, one wouldn’t have to click on a
command first, at least for some edits. I don’t know how much work this would
be to change. The small indicators in the list view are more important in any
case.

I didn’t have any problems with navigation anymore, and it’s a nice touch that
clicking „Home“ still takes you back to the last page you had in the listing.
It feels great how everything starts falling into place, and there is still so
much opportunity to grow with HaikuDepot… :-D (Sorry it is taking me so long.)

Best regards,
-Stephan