[haiku-depot-web] Introduction article

  • From: Stephan Aßmus <superstippi@xxxxxx>
  • To: haiku-depot-web@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2014 12:39:52 +0200

Hi all,

what is the general opinion about giving the web app, and the installation in particular, more exposure in the project?

I synced up the HaikuDepot categories with the web app and then went to the web app and defined categories for the first two pages of packages. But there are already 17 pages... :-)

Then I wrote some sort of "call for help" message to haiku-development (which I did not send). It contained many more paragraphs which introduced the web application, and I realized 1) I should ask for opinions here first and 2) it should be an article or blog-post on haiku-os.org.

Basically, my original call for help with regards to the web app was burried somewhat deeply in an unrelated thread. Although I received several offers for help in private mail, the whole effort was unknown to some (many?) in the project for quiet a while.

With the introduction article, I would like to describe the purpose and status of the project and also point to the current installation. I know that it was meant as a "test" install. But I don't know if or when the status quo would even change. It seems to work really well as a "real" installation to me. And even if it is replaced, I guess the data-base would be migrated in order not to throw away all the work.

I would like to encourage people to create user accounts. I don't yet have a clear idea how to proceed from there and pick users who should get more permissions. I guess we should just have them apply and revoke permissions if there is any abuse. "Real harm" can only be done with translations (i.e. rants) or screenshots (nude pics...), not so much with categories. The users with permissions to write translations could perhaps be matched to the existing Pootle team.

Thoughts? I am really happy with how the web app turned out, I think it can give a positive impulse and it is complete enough to provide an opportunity for people to contribute and collaborate, just like originally envisioned.

Best regards,
-Stephan