[gmpi] Re: Topic 2: Plugin flavors

  • From: "Koen Tanghe" <koen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Mar 2003 01:57:23 +0100

----- Original Message -----
From: <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

> > > Do you mean hardware control surfaces?
> > Yes
>
> OK, so in this case I think GMPI could support it, but there aspects to
> control surface integration that are very host specific.
>
> Other topics (and ultimately the specification) will hopefully cover
issues
> about how parameters are represented, named, organized and discovered.
This
> would be pretty elemental in a control surface integration system.

Might be more something to be saved for later on in this process...
The way I see it is that a GUI, hardware control surface, sensor, other
program, etc... are just external controllers that communicate with the
plugin through the control ports. BUT, I think it is also worth noting that
this communication should be bidirectional:
1. external controller sends control change request to plugin (user tweaks
GUI, moves fader, ...)
2. plugin handles the request and changes internal states
3. plugin in some way lets the external controller know what it did with the
requested control value change (GUI feedback, motorized faders, force
feedback, whatever, ...) and potentially also other parameters that depend
the one for which a change was requested
For example: control value change request --> plugin changes the associated
parameter, but also other depending parameters --> external controller needs
to be notified of all state changes that are reflected in the controller.

> But in any case, I don't think there is anything in the current
description
> of what kinds of plugins GMPI supports, to preclude using GMPI to
interface
> to a control surface.

That's correct I think.

Koen Tanghe