[gmpi] Re: Topic 2: Plugin flavors

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:23:24 -0500

>With the danger of repeating myself (and others), I'd say:
>- Music I/O (interfaces to different types of technology - eg: DirectMusic)
>- Audio I/O (same as above, but for audio - eg: ASIO)

it is true that we have not really decided whether or not "I/O" in the
most general sense should be possible via plugins. i personally do not
have much of an opinion about it, other than to note that i think it
will be rather hard to implement efficiently as part of a generic
plugin scheme. handling full-duplex I/O from a plugin that is called
only once per graph iteration is a bit tricky.

>- Virtual instruments (VST, ReWire?? ...)
>- Audio effects
>- Music effects?
>- Visualization
>- Sample (part/segment) editors (could also have a program to run these
>stand-alone?)
>- Music (part/segment) editors

these are all handled by what has been written already. we don't care
what a plugin does in its GUI. editing is just one example of
something that the "non-audio" thread might make possible. all we care
about is what the inputs and outputs are.