[gmpi] Re: Topic 2: Plugin flavors

  • From: Paul Davis <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 11:56:18 -0500

>> >In Pro Tools you can organize your parameters to certain pages, which might
> be
>> > different depending on how how many knobs and switches the controller has
>per
>> > page.
>> >I'm not sure this can be covered by a hierarchy?
>>
>> this is part of the discussion about the way a GUI works, and we have
>> agreed to largely defer this. item 17 may yet expand to something that
>> would deal with these kinds of things.
>
>A GUI? Sorry, I don't get it... It is easy to imagine a plug-in without any GU
>I, but which a controller can access...

a hardware control surface is 100% isomorphous to a GUI. there are a
set of control elements (knobs, switches, etc.) which control certain
parameters in the plugin. messages are sent from the underlying object
(GUI event system, hardware control surface) indicating changes in the
control elements by the user, and the host needs to ensure that the
relevant plugin parameters are modified. the same flow needs to be
able to happen in reverse.

setting up a "mapping" from control elements to parameters is in the
same general category of "Host Interface" issues as "initiate binding
to a particular control element", i think.

--p