[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: "Ron Kuper" <RonKuper@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 09:15:47 -0400

> What would the plugin do if the host says "no"? Refuse the property
> value that caused the plugin to want to change it's parameter list...?

> And why would the host say "no" in the first place?
>
> I say no. The host will just have to deal with plugins withdrawing and

> adding controls, ports and stuff. Cleaner and simpler than the
> alternatives, I think.

Ron, as the proposer of the host-ACk - enlighten us?
<<<

The host might say no because it might be "busy" and unable to carry out
the request at that instant.  Somewhat selfish here, but for example our
host deliberately tries to lock out potentially expensive edit
operations while the user is recording, to mininize any chance of data
loss.

If we were forced to always deal, we would need to implement some
queueing mechanism for these kinds of plugin requests.

I don't see why it's so hard for a plugin to deal with it.  Certainly
plugins have error checking in their code. ;-)  If the user does
something in the plugin's GUI that requires new params or pins to be
created, and the host says "no", then the operation fails and the
plugin's usual error checking catches it and fails the attempted
operation.