[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 13:15:41 +1200

> What I like about the modules approach I described before is that it is
> largely host-based (It might come from a custom GUI, but the host does
> it).  The host sees the list of modules available on a plugin.  The host
> is responsible for telling the plugin when to change it's modular config.
> The host is responsible for storing/loading modular state.
>
> Here's a flipped model.  Make the plugin do everything.  When the config
> wants to change, the plugin issues a 'gestalt' request (or something).
> Gestalt means that the host must re-query the plugin.  Anything might have
> changed - parameter list, parameter meta-data, IO configs, etc.  The
> module state must be some extra piece of state information that is
> saved/loaded with the parameter state.

Hi Tim,
Both options support a modular approach. I quite like the 2nd option.

"The module state must be some extra piece of state information"

AU does it in a very generic way,  the plugin has "Properties", unlike
parameters, properties are not automatable.  They're stuff that dosn't
change much (plugin name, parameter list etc).

e.g. your mixer might have a custom property "number of mixer strips", when
the user changes that property, the plugin does the "Gestalt" thing( host
re-queries the parameter-list, and IO info).  The host then discovers some
new parameters ( Vol, EQ etc for the new strip)

The host dosn't 'see' modules as such, just simple properties.  This gives
the plugin freedom to use a modular approach internally, or not.

>Ron says...
"I personally don't like the approach that says new parameters need to be
exposed via new modules. It puts an unecessary burden on a plugin that
wants dynamic parameters (or pins), but isn't necessary modular."

So, I think we can please everyone.

Best Regards,
Jeff