[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 12:33:46 +1200

> Describe channel-ability in more depth?  I think the modular approach I
> described is channel-like but gone one small step further.

Channel-ability is a sub-set of modularity.  channel = module, except there
is only 2 modules:
- global - stuff that applies to all channels
- per-channel - stuff that applies to each channel

e.g. basic mixer:

Global pins are: "master volume", "Mix-Out"
Per-Channel pins: "Audio In", "Chan Volume", "Mute"

> It (modularity) does add both perceptual and technical complexity, so I
can be talked
> out of it, but it is a good way to get all-in-one functionality.

My mind isn't made up either, but several of the use-cases were stuff like a
plugin providing both a mono and stereo version.

i.e. a "one channel" and a "two channel" version.

In these days of surround-sound, it's nice to generalise the concept so the
same plugin could instansiate say, a 6 channel version.

The reason I used a compressor as an example is because a stereo compressor
internally manages the gain of the two channels toggether.  So a stereo
compressor is not the same as two mono compressors.  Hence the need for
configurable channel-count.

The other use-case of "complex VA synths (which would otherwise have
hundreds of parameters)."  That didn't really make sense to me.  Does the
parameter set change?.   Does the synth have (for example) 4 parameters on
program 1 and 10 parameters on program 2?

I'm not sure, but that sounds very difficult to manage (from the host's
point of view).  Does the UI get re-arranged?, what do automation tracks do
when a parameter disappears?

That's why i think *full* modularity may not make sense.

Jeff