[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: "Jeff McClintock" <jeffmcc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 10:56:22 +1200

> Use cases for this included a modular synth/effect, a mixer, and complex
VA
> synths (which would otherwise have hundreds of parameters).
>
> Q: is it required to support dynamic plugin structures, and thereby a
> dynamic parameter list?

Here's a use-case.

Compressor Plugin, intended for mono/stereo/multichannel use

has 4 pins

1) Attack
2) Release
3) Audio In
4) Audio Out

1 and 2 are "plugin global", 3 and 4 are per-channel.

There's only ever one Attack and one Release parameter, no matter how many
channels.
3 and 4 are a set.  You can have 1 set of input/output, 2 sets etc.

The host can instansiate the plugin with as 1 or more channels.  Once the
plugin is instansiated, it's interface is fixed.  My gut feeling is that
plugins should not change their interface after they are instansiated.

> A modular model was proposed.

Do we need full modularity?, "channel-ability" might be sufficient.

Can I suggest we have 3 options:
A) no modularity.
B) restricted modularity (channel-ability), plugin can be instansiated with
1 or more channels.
C) full modularity

C sounds difficult to me.

Thoughts?