[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: Tim Hockin <thockin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 19:32:33 -0700

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 02:13:32PM +1200, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > There are two filters.  Each filter can be one of two types.  Each type
> > has a different parameter list.
>
> Yeah, that's a tricky one.
>
> A solution might be parameter "show/hide".  So the UI hides or disables
> non-relevant parameters.

Well, custom UIs already show/hide the parameters.  But the parameter list
is enormously long and mostly inapplicable.  It is very hard to find the
parameter when you need to traverse the list. That's the problem.  It's not
even really a *problem* in that we cope with it in VST.  But I'm asking if
we can do beter than VST :)

> That still leaves one problem.
> In a modular synth, user can add or remove filters at will ( hence add or
> remove parameters ).

Yes, a modular synth gets to be a lot of fun. ;)

> I am tempted to say that's equivalent to re-designing the synth, the plugin
> must be re-instansiated.  These types of changes should not happen
> on-the-fly.

Sure, but the API has to suppot modularity to do this (while still being
GMPI-native parameters).