[gmpi] Re: 3.11 topic: Dynamic plugin structure

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gmpi@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:01:40 +0200

On Tuesday 27 April 2004 01.49, Jeff McClintock wrote:
> > 2) Can the host change the parameter list?
>
> I think only the plugin should, as it 'knows' what combinations are
> allowed.

Yes...

> > 3) Does the host need to give an OK for a plugin to change its
> > own IO config?
>
> It kinda has to really, some hosts only allow certain classes of
> plugins, e.g. a master effect must be stereo (not mono).

But how does the host know what the plugin is about to do...? (See
point 2! :-)

I think all the host can do is allow the change (or rather, plugins
don't ask), and then check if it can make sense of the result. If
not, undo the property change or something. (Note: When plugins tell
the host that they changed the configuration, they should say what
propert(y|ies) caused the change, so the host knows what to undo.)

> > This brings up a few more thoughts.  Firstly, we need to provide
> > a state-header or something, which gets saved and restored before
> > the parameter values.  Plugins with dynamic structures can put
> > something in there to define the structure.  Simple plugins can
> > ignore it.
>
> Yes, I was thinking the properties could hold that info.  The host
> first restores the properties, then queries the plugin config.
>   The plugin can expose as many or few properties as needed.  This
> lets the plugin control what information it needs (mayby only one
> property, e.g. mono/stereo, or it may need several)..

Yes, that sounds good to me.