Re: [foxboro] CP60 will not boot

  • From: <tom.vandewater@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <foxboro@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 10:59:39 -0400

David,
        When you resolve this please let all of us know what the root
problem was, (embarrassing as it may be).  Because I have been bitten by
this problem before I would do things in the following order:

1. Insure that your problem isn't associated with the CP letterbug. (A
CP can boot up and then the letterbug can fail and the CP will
successfully run until it gets rebooted.  I know this sound like a long
shot but I've seen it on more than one occasion). When extracting a
letterbug from a module, it is possible for a pin in the bug to come
loose and remain in the modules' letterbug socket.  When inserting, it
is possible to break a pin that makes good enough contact to boot but
later separates. Build a new letterbug and compare it with the one you
have been using pin by pin.

2. Insure that the CP's boot host AW is running and the boot server
process is running on the host AW.  If not running reboot host AW and
check again.  I'm not sure about the following processes but I'm sure
someone knowledgeable will reply.  Possibly:
04AW01# ps -eaf |grep srv
    root  1186  1127  0   Sep 12 ?        0:00
/usr/fox/exten/romload_srvr
    root  1193  1127  0   Sep 12 ?        0:00
/usr/fox/exten/upload_srvr

3. Insure that the physical path (nodebus/carrierband connectivity)
exists between the boot host and the CP.  Run a nodebus test in SMDH.
Using the AW and another module in the same cellbus as the now defunct
CP.

4. Login to the AW host of the CP60 as root and do the following,
replacing your CPNAME instead of 06CP09:
06AW01# cd /usr/fox/sp/files
06AW01# l *06CP09*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      614052 Sep  4 03:34 BB06CP09.UC
-rw-rw-rw-   1 root     root         106 Aug 21  2003 CMX06CP09.BIN
-rw-r--r--   1 root     root      614052 Sep 11 03:34 DB06CP09.UC
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     root        2171 Aug 21  2003 DB06CP09.init

Insure files exist and are owned by "root"

06AW01# mv DB06CP09.UC DB06CP09.dave
06AW01# cp BB06CP09.UC DB06CP09.UC

Try rebooting station

If it still won't reboot you could do the following which will
initialize the CP back to a virgin image with none of your user
compounds.  You need to have a valid CP saveall in order to to reload
from scratch after this drastic step:

06AW01# cp DB06CP09.init DB06CP09.UC

5. If all of that is good it could be a corrupted or non-existent OS1C60
file located in /usr/fox/sp/files on the CP60's boot host AW. Telnet or
VT into the boot host and do the following:

06AW01# cd /usr/fox/sp/files

06AW01# l OS1C60
-rw-rw-r--   1 root     sys      1536000 Jul 28  2000 OS1C60

06AW01# what OS1C60
OS1C60:
        V6.2.1          CP60  7-28-00
        62.3    RDSS 10/12/99
        42.1    NFD     VRTX 8/29/95
        62.2    CMX     06/16/99
        61.9    FTX 03/03/00
        22.2    APR
        62.2    SMAS-CP60
        22.1    NETWORK TIME
        40.1    DBMNT
        42.1    CIOSOFT
        1015.1  BLKPARMS
        42.1    BLKCODE
        12.2    SEQ_Erh  89/06/01
        14.5    SEQ_Proc 90/11/16
        62.3    OM
        IPC     41.2  9/07/94
        4.2.0   EH

06AW01# sum OS1C60
24320 3000 OS1C60

Check the same image on another CP60 boot host to see if they are
exactly the same.=20

6. If all else fails, call CSC and get in the call que so they can
contact you sometime later today or at least by tomorrow.

Tom VandeWater
Control Systems Developer/Analyst
Dow Corning Corporation
Carrollton, KY   USA