[softwarelist] Transloaders

  • From: Dave Symes <dfs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 07:35:12 +0100

In article <NziBgMC+3MiEFwZG@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> >ChangeFSI$ReturnCode : PNG conversion failed (out of memory) [15882] (code
> >7330)

> I've had little luck with this problem... but the above strikes me as
> the interesting bit.

> Firstly it is different to what you quoted a few days ago. That error:

> > >Unknown or missing variable [43890] (code 7330)

> was a bit opaque. This one seems clearer.

> I wonder what the error is when a BMP fails to load?

Well there isn't an error, I've been concentrating on PNGs as they are my
file of choice, and the main problem, so I'd forgotten about BMPs.

I've just tried a small BMP and it loads into Both an OvPro frame and a
Publisher frame on her machine.

On her machine, even if I force the error by reducing the Next slot (See
My Machine below (xx)) the ChangeFSI$ReturnCode : error is not presented.

> You've given us a run down on his and her machines, but do they have the
> same amount of memory in?

No. Mine has 96+2MB (64+32+2 VRAM) and I have a Viewfinder card.

She has 32+2 (16+16+2 VRAM) and no Viewfinder card.

> I could imagine something like ChangeFSI is grabbing all the memory in
> the machine leaving not enough for the module based PNG code. Do the
> machines have the same setting for the 'next' slot and what is it?

Ah well, so as not to muddy the water and keep things simple, I've not
reported everthing I've been looking at.

[Her Machine]*************
Normal circumstances after a Boot up:
1048K Next slot.
19560 Free Slot.

After opening OvPro, Free has 17116K availiable.

I have tried various thing, like closing down all none essential apps to
increase the available memory... No change.

Increased the Next slot a lot... No change.
Yes! CFSI or whatever is doing the conversion, is grabbing all of the
available Free allocation, that applies with either BMP or PNG, and no
matter what I manually set it to, it still grabs the lot and won't convert
the tiny PNG

[My machine]**************
10MB allocated to the Next slot.
72MB Free slot.

The same process happens on my machine during the conversion, in that
whatever I've allocated to the Next slot is grabbed by whatever is doing
the translation. Even up to 28MB.

(xx)
Interestingly (The same PNG test file is being used on both machines) I
can get my Next slot down as low as 184K and the conversion still works on
this particular file; Below that and it fails and presents the Transloader
error: "File could not be converted".

The above also applies to the Test BMP on my machine, and the same test
BMP one her machine.

> You've said she is an Impression user, the transloaders should also work
> on Impression, allowing a PNG (or BMP) to be loaded into that...

Yes tested that before as well...
The transloader will load the test BMP into Impression, but presents the
same problem with the PNG..

I'm hoping you can devine some clue from the above, because I'm well past
my knowledge base... :-(

Cheers
Dave S