[softwarelist] Re: OPW - PDF - Printing

  • From: "Alan Adams" <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 11:19:05 -0000 (UTC)

> On Thu, 04 Dec 2008 07:53:32 -0000, Bernard Veasey
> <bernard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> In message <4936DF00.8080201@xxxxxxxx>
>>           Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> Thanks. I have now upgraded to the latest version of OPW. So, tomorrow
>>> (after checking that overprint is off) I will generate a new PS file,
>>> resend the Test PDF file to the PS printer, and let you know what
>>> happens.
>>
>> I have just fetched the latest version of Ovation Pro from David's web
>> site and it is the same 6 Nov 2008 version as I already have.
>> Where is this mythical 13 Nov 2008 version please?
>
> Did you refresh your browser first?

This is sometimee caused by a cached copy of the file on the ISP's cache.
You can't directly fix this.

(Note to webmaster - to prevent this, it is a good idea to change the
filename of new versions, so the ISP doesn't think it is the same file).

You can sometimes get round this by subtle alterations of the name.

For example if the link goes to

http://my.website.none/get-this-file

alter this in the browser address box to

http://my.Website.none/get-this-file

This works because the DNS name is looked up in a case-insensitive
fashion, but caches generally use case-sensitive matching to locate cached
files. Changing the case of part of the DNS name causes a new copy to be
fetched.

Changing case in the filename part usually causes a "file not found"
error, because Unix filenames are case-sensitive, and many web servers run
on Unix.

Alan