[softwarelist] Re: OPW - PDF - Printing

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 12:43:39 +0000

David Pilling wrote:
In message <op.ulky1sq57kyep4@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes

I woke up at 5am and thought of an answer to this...

There is the concept of "overprint" or its opposite "knock out". This refers to what happens when colours are overlaid on a printer.

Say you have an area of red, and an area of green is printed on top of it. There are two possible approaches, overprint where the green paint is placed on top of the red OR knock out where the red paint is removed from the area and the green is put on to the resulting white.

Imagine that instead of green you're dealing with white (which was the problem case), here there is no final coat of paint, white is an absence of ink. If you have knockout set then you'll see something, if you have overprint set you won't.

Now in the last version of OPW I changed the PostScript generation so that the overprint setting has an effect in composite files (it has always worked in separations).

My guess is that your white is set to overprint and one of the PS interpreters understands the overprint command. The solution is to change the overprint setting. This can be done at the colour or object level, unless you're actually setting overprint deliberately, best turned off at the colour level.

You can use the View->separations menu to see the effect of overprint settings.

Sorry for disturbing your sleep. In my setup OVERPRINT is OFF by default in the Object>Modify>Fillcolour menu and the Text>Modify text>Foreground menu, and I would expect that it was set to off in all the relevant documents/frames. But I will create some test documents with various settings and see what happens.
--
C.B.