[softwarelist] Re: OPW - PDF - Printing

  • From: Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 07:10:49 +0000

John Tytgat wrote:
In message <49351773.8050701@xxxxxxxx> you wrote:

Using DirectPS I generated PS files of the OPW documents in question, and from the PS files I generated press quality PDFs (using Acrobat Distiller v8).

When viewed on screen, the PDFs seem fine. Printing the PDFs to my LaserJet 1200-series using PCL6 emulation ... again everything seems OK. But printing the same PDFs to a PS printer (HP LaserJet P3005 PS, language level 3 set in PS options) ... PROBLEMS

Do I assume it correcty that all this is done with Acrobat 8 (including the
PS printing) ? If so, then I bet that this points to a problem with the
PS interpreter in the HP LaserJet (I don't think it is an Adobe PS
interpreter but a clone one) as the PDF -> PS conversion done in Acrobat 8
is pretty good.

The PS printing is done by OPW -- Direct PostScript. The PS file is then opened in Acrobat Distiller (v8.1.3 - Mac version). It may well be that the problem lies with the PS interpreter in the HP LaserJet. My concern is could the commercial printer who receives my PDF be using a similarly flawed PS device ... and that would be a disaster.

Nevertheless, in case you're willen to share that PDF file with me, I'm
quite willing to investigate this a little bit more.

I'd appreciate that. I'll send you (offlist) the URL where you will find the PS file.
--
C.B.