[bksvol-discuss] Re: please more submits so I can proof read

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 22:22:12 -0400

When I personally use the term "jiffy proofreading " I specifically do not mean the kinds of examples you mention. I too have quickly proof read a short book or a particularly well scanned one. The fact that particular people seem able to do this book after book concerns me if this indeed is what is happening. Until we actually read their validates what they did we will not know. I suggest somebody download and read some of the books in question.

E.

At 10:12 PM 3/15/2009, you wrote:
There might actually be legitimate reasons for jiffy proofreading sometimes, or perhaps I need to come up with another term for what I have in mind. I can think of three times that I did it. One time it was a book for young children, very young children. It really did take me only a few minutes to proofread the problem and solution for Big Bird. The other two times I found a book on the download list that Carrie had bounced back a long time ago with a note to make a minor correction and then she would approve it. Well, the former proofreader had not bothered to make the correction and a lot of time had passed, so I just made the correction and uploaded without reading it. I think that was legitimate.

"Philosophers have merely interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it." Karl Marx

table with 2 columns and 6 rows
Subj:
[bksvol-discuss] Re: please more submits so I can proof read
Date:
3/15/2009 9:36:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time
From:
denisecwagner@xxxxxxxxxxx
To:
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent from the Internet
(Details)
table end

And please forgive me for forgetting who had this idea, but I think the more quality reports that get reported for these jiffy readers, the more likely we will have a case for Bookshare to hold these skaters responsible for shoddy work. On the other hand, if a person is a jiffy reader, and the job is quality and no report can be filed, I don't think we have a problem or reason to complain. Of course, since I'm not a member I can't file any, but I think it's a great idea. Get the shoddy work on record, then have Bookshare investigate and maybe eventually reprimand or prevent these sub-par proofers from
submitting anything (if they are sub-par).

I would only caution against one thing -- making sure the jiffy reader is truly just skating and not a newbie and ignorant of the duties and expectations.

Boy, I'm spouting my mouth alot today -- I need a hobby *chuckle*.

Denise