[bksvol-discuss] Re: Be mindful

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 22:04:21 -0500

Cindy, though it may seem like it, I'm not preaching to the choir and don't think others are either. I'm attempting to solve a problem and prompt staff and volunteers to do likewise. That entails discussing an issue and assessing it from all angles to be sure that a solution works well and doesn't have blind spots. I could have sent my proposal to Bookshare alone. I wanted to start a dialog because I'm one person. I can't see things as others do, so I can't assume that my solution is the one solution that will make things better for all people.

I do hear you about how this may sound to new volunteers. Do you know of a way to let people know that we aren't a group of fire-breathing dragons who like to criticize every little thing? (smile) My goal is to solve a problem, not to create another one inadvertently.

As for the appendices, it depends on their content as to how much work I do on those. If they are text, I validate them normally. If there are a lot of charts and graphs, I generally let them go because I'd need a sighted person to type them in. I don't worry about closely validating the index of a book either unless someone especially asks for it.

Monica Willyard

Cindy Ray wrote:
I would say we do need to be mindful. We are, more or less "preaching to the choir" here, but if someone is new, they can find this discussion really intimidating. I think we need and want good scanning and good validating; I don't think we want to come across as snobs. I find that these kinds of messages go on nd on and on until that is the feeling I get myself; didn't scan or validate for a long time because of it.

As for scanning, people said that the appendices need to be fixed correctly because people might use them; therefore, I have a book that I've been holding for two months because that's the only thing I haven't done on it. Too busy. But, of course, there is not a hew and cry for a book on the calendar of the Christian Year anyway.

Cindy Lou Ray