[bksvol-discuss] Re: Be mindful

  • From: Michael Sestak <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2007 20:08:09 -0800 (PST)

Wow, after reading these two long threads on the subject, I'm exhausted.

I basically agree with Julia.  It doesn't matter how the scans get that way, by
careful scanning or by proofreading afterwards, good submissions is what we
want.

But this is a division of labor, scanning and validating.  Scanners should do
everything they can to make the character recognition work as well as possible
and check for completeness, make sure the title and copyright pages scanned
well.  If they'd like to do a spelling check, and strip headers that can be
removed with find and replace, so much the better.

But it seems to me (and I think these are in the volunteer manual now) these
are mainly functions of the validators.

Of course we can only reach those who read this list with these comments, but
what would be most useful to me is for the submitter to include in the comments
a description of what has been done beyond scanning and word recognition and
whether they know the book has more than typical amounts of special text such
as foreign words or names, technical terms, quotations, picture captions or the
like.  Then if I was only in the mood for light fast work, I could take an
excellent scan of a science fiction book I've already read (usually in the deep
dark past), from someone who does at least some spelling check.  If I felt like
tackling something more challenging I'd take a nonfiction book that is full of
dates and places that was only skimmed for completness by the submitter.

Misha