Badges - Re: A Question For Everyone

  • From: SWColony@xxxxxxx
  • To: badges@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 16:29:25 -0400 (EDT)

CD,
That varies greatly depending on what federal facility you are  visiting.
The Federal Building where my office is located allows any law  enforcement
officers to carry their weapon inside the facility.  Some  federal
courthouses even allow it.  There is no hard and fast rule.
Russell

In a message dated 8/30/2011 1:43:53 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
cd2u@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

I  attended an event last Friday with the U. S. Dept. of Labor, put on in
the San  Francisco Federal building. Going in at 0830, I ID’d myself and told
the  security I was carrying a weapon. The early morning crew let me right
through  without a problem. A group of us then left at noon for a tour of an
offsite  facility. When we returned, we had to repeat the screening
process. This time  the day time crew was on duty and the supervisor for the
building (Federal  Protection Services) happened to be standing in the lobby
next
to the Dept. of  Labor reception desk.  The uniform  FPS guys took my ID and
told her that I had been in the earlier meeting and  was returning from the
tour. She basically said no way I was getting back in  with my weapon. The
uniform guys then suggested I go check my weapon at the  California Superior
Court located across the street and one of FPS guys walked  over with me to
do it. He was telling me that since the shootings at Federal  buildings
(Las Vegas particularly), they don’t even let the retired Feds (FBI  etc.) come
into the building armed. (The private security contractors working  the
early morning shift apparently didn’t know this little piece of  information.)
With all the discussion that occurred my second time in, this  either hadn’t
occurred since the policy was instituted (for the security  contractors) or
the policy hadn’t been communicated to them properly when it  was
instituted.  I do have to  commend the FPS guys who really did accommodate me.
They
could have simply  told me I wasn’t getting back in with a weapon and not
bothered with me any  further.
So  all you Feds on the list, it appears the fun goes away once you retire.

CD