[AZ-Observing] Re: 5 Mile Meadow

  • From: BillFerris@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 11:09:26 -0400

Brian Skiff wrote:
[snip]
>     But it was 25F on the morning a couple days before the summer
> solstice?  Doesn't leave you much of an observing window!
>     In the autumn post-monsoon season, roughly after mid-September,
> the daytime temps stay fairly warm while nighttime lows drift steadily
> downward.  Mean date of the first frost in Flagstaff is in
> the first week of October.
[snip]

Last year when I was planning for the Mormon Mtn. star party, I pulled Brian's
20+ years of nighttime cloudiness data into an Excel file to identify the best
two-week window for observing in northern Arizona. I was not surprised to find
that the two week-window in mid-June historically offers the greatest number of
photometric nights. What did surprise me was that the last two-weeks of
September are right up there, better than the last half of May or the first
half of June, for that matter. And the nighttime temps are comparable to
late-May.

So, other than the current time period, mid-to-late September is the time to
plan a star party in northern AZ.

Regards,

Bill in Roswell (vacation)

P.S. A perfectly good observing session was rudely interrupted by 40 MPH winds,
last night :o(