[AZ-Observing] Re: 5 Mile Meadow

  • From: "Steve Coe" <stevecoe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 01:20:03 -0700

Paul;

I recently drove along Stoneman Lake Road and it may very well be a somewhat
shorter route in miles, but it certainly is a poor road as far as a driving
experience.  Lots of washboard, lots of dust.  Not fun at all.

One other thing I noticed.  There is no sign if you are coming south on Lake
Mary Road.  You have to lookout for mile marker 301 and find the turnoff to
Forestry Road 229 and the Bar D Ranch by spotting the correct mile marker.
You can see the back of the sign in the distance!  Just a little more
difficult to find the turn coming from Stoneman Lake Road.

Fascinating that there are three ways to get to the this spot.  Maybe an
experiment is in order.  Some folks take the eastern route up the Beeline
Hwy., some take the General Crook Trail as I laid out and some take I-17 to
Stoneman Lake Road and carefully time their trip.  We can compare notes once
we get there.

Just a weird thought;
Steve

Author "Deep Sky Observing--The Astronomical Tourist"
Saguaro Astronomy Club website
www.saguaroastro.org