[AZ-Observing] Re: 5 Mile Meadow

  • From: SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
  • To: az-observing@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 00:39:43 EDT

I'll say being prepared will certainly help make sure you're comfortable.
Although I was prepared for temps in the low 40's or high 30's, I was quite
comfortable all night. The cold weather bag's contents did their job. I had a
several layers, including longjohns, heavy pants & Shirt, and ski pants (bought
last year from Big 5, on sale) and my old Air Canada Ramp Parka (gotta give the
Canadians credit for knowing how to make warm clothes). I'm not really sure
what my sleeping bag is rated to, but It's probably 0 as I was nice and toasty
once I went to bed.
Tony Muller's article (to which Tom posted a link) was published in the Jan.
2003 issue of SACnews, and it's advice is well worth heeding.

Now if they can only make clothes that will cool you off?????????????

Clear Skies
Rick Tejera
Editor SACnews
Saguaro Astronomy Club
Phoenix, Arizona
SaguaroAstro@xxxxxxx
www.saguaroastro.org

In a message dated 6/23/2004 18:16:55 US Mountain Standard Time,
acrayon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Yes it did get a tad colder than expected.  Prior to heading north the
temperatures were predicted to be in the high 30's to low 40's F.  At
the site the cold temps didn't seem to take effect until near twilight.
The worst time for me was Sunday morning, it got so cold for me that I
got out of the sleeping bag to find and put on a heavy shirt, climb back
in, catch my breath, warm up and go back to sleep.