Re: [artworks] PDF: When black isn't really black

  • From: Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 11:37:14 +0100

Martin Wuerthner wrote:

In message <4460637A.4020503@xxxxxxxx>
          Clive Bonsall <C.Bonsall@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

If I export an AW2 file in Illustrator 3 format (with "Simulate CMYK
inks" ticked), when I load that file into Illustrator CS2 I get a
warning: "The document does not have an embedded CMYK profile". Is this
expected behaviour?

I am very surprised that Illustrator CS2 still imports the file at all. Yes, of course, the file does not have a CMYK profile, that kind of thing was not around in an EPS format designed in 1990.

Illustrator CS2 seems to handle the AI3 fles I throw at it quite happily. I wondered AI3 might be too early for CMYK, tho' that particular colour model was around in 1992 when AW1 was launched.

I presume you know that Illustrator CS2 can import PDF? I cannot imagine any reason why one would use the 15 year old extremely limited Illustrator 3 export that does not even support the most basic ArtWorks features when you can use state-of-the-art PDF export that supports even very advanced ArtWorks features.

Yes, I was aware that CS2 can import PDF ... but AFAICS you can't edit an imported (PDF) drawing, which makes the CS2 PDF import facility of limited use to me. Any chance of an improved Illustrator exporter for AW2?
--
Clive Bonsall
AW 2.57, AWRenderer 1.76