Re: [artworks] PDF: When black isn't really black

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 12:04:08 +0200

In message <2d6c40244e.philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <5e7e38244e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> This sounds very strange. After all, one of the big advantages of PDF
>> output is that it includes the exact CMYK colours you have set in
>> ArtWorks. There are no known issues with colour export and if I try it
>> here, I do get pure black - I mean, this is a *very* basic thing. I
>> have spent ages getting rather advanced colour stuff right.
>>
>> Please let me see an ArtWorks file and its PDF output.
>
> Sent via email.

Not surprisingly, the file does say pure black, so your PDF viewer is
messing things up, which is strange because the very same version of
Adobe Reader displays the file correctly here. It might be a global
Windows colour profile issue or something like that.

>> Jaggies on the edges? Surely, if you start with a vector-based PDF
>> file exported from ArtWorks they can only have been introduced by any
>> inbetween processing step?
>
> It's because the printer is using dithering (and very poor dithering at that)
> to get the colour 'accurate'. The jaggies are an artefact of the dithering
> algorithm from what I can tell.

OK, yes, that is bound to happen when you print grey text. Of course,
once you have sorted out your PDF viewer, it should display it in pure
black anyway.