Re: [artworks] PDF: When black isn't really black

  • From: Philip Pemberton <philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: artworks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 10:41:48 +0100

In message <5e7e38244e.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> This sounds very strange. After all, one of the big advantages of PDF
> output is that it includes the exact CMYK colours you have set in
> ArtWorks. There are no known issues with colour export and if I try it
> here, I do get pure black - I mean, this is a *very* basic thing. I
> have spent ages getting rather advanced colour stuff right.
>
> Please let me see an ArtWorks file and its PDF output.

Sent via email.

> Jaggies on the edges? Surely, if you start with a vector-based PDF
> file exported from ArtWorks they can only have been introduced by any
> inbetween processing step?

It's because the printer is using dithering (and very poor dithering at that)
to get the colour 'accurate'. The jaggies are an artefact of the dithering
algorithm from what I can tell.

Thanks,
--
Phil.                         | Kitsune: Acorn RiscPC SA202 64M+6G ViewFinder
philpem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx         | Cheetah: Athlon64 3200+ A8VDeluxeV2 512M+100G