[access-uk] Re: Tesco.com/access order history

  • From: "Ray's Home" <rays-home@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 09:05:51 +0100

Can I, Carol, just make one or two general points about training?  I won't
comment on the Tesco website shop as I don't use it - I have a tesco less than
ten minutes walk away.  Not that I'm going to suggest you move nearer to
Tesco's (smile).

I think Steve could have put his case a bit more subtly.  That aside, we get
Tesco, sometimes Sainsbury, related points popping up again and again here, and
it is what this list (is) about.  Still, it does seem obvious to me that many
of us, (me included) aren't always as up-to-speed with the more complex screen
reader features provided within whatever screen reader, as we should be.

Few of us are going to splash out on non-educational/employment related
training days because that's a large cash sacrifice for individuals to make.
The most obvious alternatives are some of the tutorials written by VI and other
people for home use.  Brian Hartgen used to do these but that bloke's got a
good deal else on his mind these days.

The other thing I ask myself is, why oh why, doesn't the vol sector do more?
Its good, at a local level, at setting up tea and coffee mornings and day
trips, but too rarely, I contend, gets to grips with the detailed business of
providing regular training courses for free, or a moderate charge, come to
that.  I think there's a crying need for a nationally led, but locally
delivered, training initiative.  If that was to turn out to be job-seeking
related, well, I'd have little quarrel with that seeing that fewer than 25% of
VI people are economically active.

As a final thought, you could do worse than taking a look at what TAFN is
doing.  They seem to be finding a way out of the cul-de-sac irrelevance that
too much of the VI vol sector has sunken in to.
(Ray

Personal emails:  Email me at
mailto:ray-48@xxxxxxxx