[wisb] Lake Michigan

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jan 2013 18:53:51 -0600

I spent the day birding Lake Michigan, starting at Milwaukee and ending at
Manitowoc/Two Rivers.  In Milwaukee there were Canvasback and Redheads at South
Shore Park.  The North Pt parking lot area had female Black and White-winged
Scoters, and a young male Harlequin Duck.  10 Gadwalls were off North PT.  15
Coots were off the art museum in the harbor.
Port Washington was very quiet except for hundreds!! of Canada Geese.

At Harrington Beach SP, at the end of Cedar Beach Rd, a Carolina Wren was
working the shrubs on the park side.  It then flew into the yards across the
road.  The apple tree along D had both waxwings and Robin.

Sheboygan was quiet except for a female Black Scoter north of the North Pt
parking lot.

The Kingfisher Farm feeders were very active.  Best was a Flicker and Purple
Finch.

Manitowoc had a good gull gathering that included 20 Glaucous and 10 Great
Black-backed.  Most of these were on the ice in the harbor.  A few were off Red
Arrow Park.

However perhaps  the most unusual was a Turkey Vulture soaring north of
Sheboygan and south of Fischer Creek CP.  For me, that is one of the view
vulture sightings I have ever had during the winter.

It was an enjoyable day.  Now if the Packers can just win tonight.

Also, here is hoping this is correctly sent, as I have had some problems for
the first few days of this year sending messages.  Ah, the joys of the computer!
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI