[wisb] Re: Lake Michigan

  • From: Peter Fissel <peter.fissel@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 2015 01:38:06 +0000

Jim Otto and I started at Port Wash. and worked our way up to Sheboygan, with
similar results. Only scoter we had was a young Surf in the harbor at Port,
along with the gorgeous Long-tailed Duck reported earlier. A very tame Snow
Bunting was working the walkway along the south side of the harbor. Also had a
flock of Redpolls at Harrington Beach by the lower parking area, eating birch
catkins. Looks like it may be a good winter for them.

Pretty standard gulls - there was one adult Lesser Black-backed on the beach
south of the Blue Harbor resort at Sheboygan, and a first-winter Glaucous on
the beach at Deland Park.

The thousands and thousands of Red-breasted Mergansers flying by at nearly
every stop was amazing...

Peter Fissel
Madison WI