[THIN] Re: OT: Dell PE 1855 Blade Servers

  • From: "Jim Kenzig http://ThinHelp.com" <jkenzig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: thin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 07:01:19 -0800 (PST)

You don't need to Jeff, just direct him to the Wikipedia entry on Dell and read
about them... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dell%2C_Inc.  Look under the
criticism heading... interesting to note that the entry for IBM and HP have no
such heading. : )
  JK

Jeff Pitsch <je> wrote:
    Have you read any of my statements?  i have said they are my opinion.  I'm
sorry if I haven't taken the time to list out my complaints (like OpenManage
which was stated) and those of my clients (like hard drives that can't be
replaced anymore because of some bizarre firmware issues).  So please before
you start throwing mud, please read my posts in their entirety again.  yes I
will bring up the fact of lights out and being in front means more than just a
processor, it also deals with management software (again), hardware in all it's
forms, blades, racks, etc, support for all of it.  That is what I have to deal
with with my customers, I have to look at everything.

  Besides, this entire thread is about peoples opinions and experiences, right
or wrong.

  If you really want, I'll get one of my customers to list out why they threw
dell out on to the curve.  It will take a couple of days but I'll get the list.

  Jeff

  On 1/23/06, Roger Riggins <roger.riggins@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:       Jeff, you
said "?everything about Dell servers pales in comparison to HP and IBM". I
simply want to know why. If you can't expound on your statements then we'll
take them for what they're worth and move on. If it's merely an opinion, then
say so and don't present it as fact. Rusty's original post was about Dell 1885
blades. You didn't even answer his question, but immediately slammed Dell and
its entire server line. It's obvious that YOU are the one that has strong
feelings about Dell. Maybe Rusty isn't interested in lights out or being the
first on the block to run AMD procs in his NOC. Does that mean that mean that
he still shouldn't look at Dell?

  Look, you are an enormous asset to this list and your opinion probably
carries much weight for many readers. That may be even more reason for you to
be sure to distinguish between fact and opinion.

  As for this thread being about me: We are mixed Dell/HP. Our last server
purchase was HP servers. I have no loyalty either way and I was never offended.
All I'm doing is calling a spade a spade.
    Roger Riggins
Network Administrator
Lutheran Services in Iowa
w: 319.859.3543