[texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2015 16:29:51 -0600

We finished the morning with 81 species. There were 5500 white geese. There
were a large number of ducks along the south end of Wildlife Drive (ducks seen
there included 1600 Northern Pintails, lots of Redheads, Gadwalls, and
Mallards). Birds were plentiful and we saw a lot of sparrows. Best sparrow
sighting of the day were 3 LeConte's Sparrows in the fields in the Goode area
near Sparrow Lane. We were treated to 6 female Purple Finches (one eating seeds
on Terry Lane near the Myer's Branch bridge and five eating berries near the
last field on the left going to Meadow Pond).
http://ebird.org/ebird/iss/view/checklist/email?subID=S26320552
Jack Chiles, Texas master naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.