[texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR.

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 19:13:25 -0500

The north wind was blowing and lots of birds were arriving.  It has been a long
time since I have seen ducks in the numbers that were present today. There were
at least 1,000 Northern Pintails and 1000 Redheads. There were probably 6000
ducks which went unidentified because of distance and their being in the
Smartweed. You need a good spotting scope if you want to try to identify them
plus a lot of time.  When we arrived at the bottom of the long hill at the
Goode area which is one of the best places to view a lot of the birds we found
a mature Bald Eagle feasting on a kill.  We also saw Mallards, Northern
Shovelers, Ring-necked Ducks, Ruddy Ducks there along with about 3,000 American
Coots. The Roseate Spoonbill was still hanging out with a Great Egret at Dead
Woman Pond. From the end of C pad which is about the only other place to get a
view of the large numbers of ducks we saw at least 120 American Avocets and 48
Dowitchers, 36 Least Sandpipers and Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs. We found a
Hairy Woodpecker at the entrance to the Goode area. American Wigeons and
Gadwalls were seen in Mineral Marsh. We finished the day with 63 species + 4
other taxa.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWREdit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at