[texbirds] Tuesday morning bird census, Hagerman NWR

  • From: Jack Chiles <chilesjack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Texbirds <Texbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 16:15:35 -0500

It was a beautiful still day for birding.  We tallied 68 species + 3 other
taxa. Bird of the day was a Roseate Spoonbill at Dead Woman Pond.  We were able
to count over 800 Northern Pintails.  The distant Smartweed was full of ducks
but they were too distant to ID most.  We estimated there were at least 3000
ducks. Ducks we were able to ID were Gadwall, American Wigeon, Mallard,
Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal and Redhead. Yellow-rumped Warblers
were present along with a Nashville a Warbler or two. Winter sparrows are
starting to arrive.  We saw Song Sparrows, White-throated and White-crowned.
Merlin was seen again at Dead Woman Pond.
Jack Chiles, Texas Master Naturalist and volunteer, Hagerman NWR.Edit your
Freelists account settings for TEXBIRDS at