[TechAssist] Re: MEMBERS IN GENERAL! Another Nationwide Servicer??? NESDA top Brass involved???

  • From: "becyn" <becyn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <techassist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 19:32:57 -0400

I don't know why this would be a surprise or shock to anyone in this
business. The "show" has been over for many years. I stopped bringing on
"raw recruits" seven years ago! I let the ranks here shrink by attrition. At
this time I consider myself 'semi-retired' from the service business and
would rather work on my real-estate interests more.

The facts are that the repair vs replacement decision goes overwhelmingly to
the "replace" column these days. The only reason that we're still here is
that we have evolved and adapted to the market. That means finding as much
high end and niche work as possible and being VERY GOOD at it.

None the less, the numbers show that we're not growing, but doing less, yet
more profitable work. Even with those dire estimates, I am doing better than
most and consider myself very fortunate to have no lack of work or "dead
time".

More and more products are being rolled out with "replacement warranties".
More sophisticated products are going to 'board level" repair. So, you can
see the handwriting on the wall. It's all moving toward the concept of using
national fortune 500's with semi-skilled labor to do exhanges and/or board
swapping.
Other specialties, such as a "sevice level convergence" will either be a
more automated process or at least be downloaded onto PDA's or blackberries
for maximun hand-holding of the field staff. If things get bad enough, they
can add streaming video links with experienced personel at the main office.

Now that I have shown you the future, go have a stiff drink, and plan to
apply to IBM on Monday. ;-)

Jim McVey
McVey Alltronix
327 Broadway