[SI-LIST] Re: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator

  • From: Kim Flint <si@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2003 17:53:12 -0700

Chris-

I just treated the cap as a lumped element with .1uF capacitance, 1nH
series inductance, .1 ohm series resistance. I used 13 mil vias, spaced 130
mils as if it were about a usual 0603 type placement with no special
techniques to reduce loop area of the mounting. Properly, I realize it
would be more accurate to do this more carefully by including pads and
such, but I didn't spend the time to do that for this exercise. (there's
only so many hours in the day.) Certainly all of those parameters of the
cap can be varied. I just wanted to see the basic effect of the location,
then thought I would share what I had here. If you or anyone else wants to
take my simulation files as a starting point and add more details, by all
means please do! and please share! I would be interested to see the result.
Like I say, more simulation monkeys banging on more computers might give us
some more useful knowledge. Or suggest some idea and maybe I'll give it a
try later.

kim

List archives are viewable at: