[SI-LIST] Re: UltraCAD ESR and Bypass Capacitor Caculator

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:27:34 -0700 (PDT)

The frequency domain calculations mentioned in Jim's message
utilizing Pspice were also the genesis of our Decaptool which
was the basis for the Cadence Power Integrity module in Specctraquest.

Rather than writing a specialized calculator we opted to let spice
(Hspice in our case) do what it was designed for: simulate circuits.
It was fast, straightforward and flexible.

Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems

Jim Person wrote:
>><snip>
>>1. The reason we wrote the calculator in the first place was because we
>>couldn't figure out how to make the frequency response calculation for an
>>arbitrary number of capacitors with arbitrary values, inductance and ESR
>>any other way. Then we figured others might have the same problem and would
>>like access to the same tool.
>><snip>
>
>We've been having excellent results doing this very thing using PSPICE.
>
>We get complete control over ESR and ESL values, qty of caps, and their
>values.
>
>We plot the results as ohms and freq (log) - which requires a little
>config...
>
>regards,
>Jim Peterson

List archives are viewable at: