[pure-silver] Re: what is a "work print"?

  • From: "EJ Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 22:47:03 -0600

Shannon,  Yes, I do sometimes need to "work like that", in that I'd make a
small print and then make big prints. I'd usually only do that if the neg
was going to be hard to print, I was low on paper, or I needed to make
multiple sizes of an image for a customer.

Light falls off with the square of the distance; Works for an enlarger just
like it does it a light in the studio. It is a bit crude, but you can use a
tape measure to measure from the neg to the easel; just don't change your
lens to a different lens length. And if it calls for a work print, send a
work print. I think a small stack is easier to cull than a bunch of 16x20's
mixed with 11x14, with 8x10, etc.

You can also measure the light source and adjust it as well to match the new
height. Ilford made a nice little meter for that; an EM10. The big issue to
work out is how to interpret the new image size. Small changes like an 8x10
to 11x14 are not that noticeable, but 8x10 to 20x24 will need more than just
a new exposure calculation.

Eric Neilsen Photography

4101 Commerce Street

Suite 9