[pure-silver] Re: what is a "work print"?

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 15:10:09 -0600

That's a great idea, about using a light meter to go bigger.

--shannon

On Nov 8, 2007, at 12:59 PM, Sauerwald Mark wrote:

--- Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

I have never learned this way of working. It's a
different work flow.
Does anybody on this list do that?

I can make some "work prints" to send to this show.
That's not a

Great question!  I am anxious to see the answers that
come back.

For me, a work print is usually 8x10, just because I
find that size big enough to see what is going on, but
small enough to be able to process relatively quickly
and easily.  I go through far more 8x10 paper than any
other size.  It could be RC, but for me, is usually
fiber.  It is a print which has about the right, if
not exactly right exposure and contrast, but may not
have all of the burning/dodging the way I want it.
The work print will often hang over my desk for a
while (could be months) as I try to figure out where
to go next with it.  It does NOT have any spotting
done on it, but other than that, could fall into a
broad range of how happy I am with the print.

As to going to larger sizes, my usual way of doing
that is to start working on 8x10, with a relatively
small aperture on the enlarging lens, one I have the
8x10 print the way I want it, I use an Epson light
meter to measure the illumination on some part of the
image, then raise the head to get the size that I
want, and open the aperture to the get back to the
same amount of illumination.  Usually means that the
first exposure on large paper is pretty close to what
I had worked out on the 8x10.

http://mail.yahoo.com