[pure-silver] Re: what is a "work print"?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2007 19:42:03 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "winddancing" <winddancing@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2007 9:19 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: what is a "work print"?

IME it is not a "size" issue at all; rather, it is the difference between a "completed" fine print and a good guess at exposure and contrast that will inform you of the steps necessary to make a "fine print". It literally helps you "work" out the next steps toward making a better print. One might call it a preliminary map for the "treasured-buried-here". While I don't appreciate "Holgas" et al, I'd guess that if their output lacks refinement then applying darkroom magic after the fact would be "cheating-over" the classic sense of a "Holga's" lack of refinement. So a judge just might want to see how much "sophistication" has been added.

This is also my understanding of the term. A print made to find out what adjustments or manipulating need to be done to make a finished print.

---