[pure-silver] Re: buying photo stuff on ebay

  • From: Dave James <charlie_5oclock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:53:42 -0700 (PDT)

So you're in favor of a system that forces every interested party to be at
their computer as the auction comes to a close? How successful do you think
that would be in a 24/7 global market? Will you still bid if the auction ends
(or extends) at 3AM?

  There are very few unique items listed on eBay. If you do a bit of research,
you can get an idea of what an item will sell for, and then you can decide how
much you're willing to pay.

  Once you've done that, place your proxy bid and walk away.

Bill Stephenson <photographica@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Ray -

Ever since I became aware of eBay, I've wished that they'd to to what
you describe as the "Japanese system". Let's have a REAL auction -
one that doesn't end until no one will raise the bid. I'm a regular
brick-and-mortar auction-goer, and I know that my bid isn't the
winning one until the auctioneer pauses, looks around the room one
last time, and then says "SOLD". That's the way it should be - honest
competition down to the last bid.

If eBay were to set itself up so that an auction had a "target time"
at which it would end - but only after a two-minute period of
inactivity. Then we could all take part in a real "auction", not a
"timed sale" (or something - I don't really know what to call an eBay
sale).

Until and unless they do this, well...I'll just keep on using eBay as
it is!

-Bill

Visit the Yahoo! Auto Green Center.