[pure-silver] Re: buying photo stuff on ebay

  • From: Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 09:26:21 +0200

Shannon Stoney a écrit :
I hope this is not too (shamefully) off topic. I know a lot of people on this list shop on ebay for cameras, etc. Well, I just was doing the same, and I have a question. I had a bid in on an item, and my highest bid was $100, but for a whole day the price stayed at $66. I ended up "winning" the auction, but at the very last minute , the bidding went up to my highest bid, $100.

That made me a little suspicious. I wondered if a seller could get a friend to bid up an item. But then I thought: how would they know when to stop? They might by accident bid over my highest amount and end up buying the item. So, was this just bad luck? Or next time should I put in a lower highest bid? Or a less obvious highest bid, like $98?

--shannon
Shannon,
Look at the bid history and you'll see that someone has bid on the last seconds. This is the way to do using things like Bidninja.com or Auctionsniper.com. It may not work because you may have tried to bid your $100 when the auction was already above the 100 level, but you planned not to pay above $100 so, it saves you from "bid syndrome" (people on Ebay paying $150 plus shipping for a used Calumet Shutter tester worth NEW $109 ....) The best solution is to find more than one of the thing you'll want and bid using a snipper for all of these. (some site allow to group bids, and stop bidding once you've won one) This way you will have the thing you want at the price you want. Of course if it is hen's teeth, you won't find so may on Ebay, but for photographic equipment, it often works.
--
Ce message est constitué d'au moins 50 % d'électrons recyclés.
S'il vous plaît, aidez nous à conserver nos ressources,