[pure-silver] Re: buying photo stuff on ebay

  • From: "Edward C. Zimmermann" <edz@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 17:05:34 +0200

Quoting Georges Giralt <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>:

> Bill ,
> If you use a sniper, you will often "win" auction just doing what you
> want. Bidding early just make the price go high because people seeing
> the low price arre tempted to bid on it. Refraining to bid up to the

This is not always the case. Since its not a working market by bidding
early and showing interest many potential bidders will go elsewhere looking
for that "deal". Snipping can often be the wrong approach as they tend
to be based less on the "willingness to pay" but on an "unwillingness to
lose" in the uncertainty of other's bidding. Bidding early and pushing the
price above an ideal target can often drive potential bidders away. Its the
psychology of competition.

> last minute ensure the price will stay at a minimum (if everyone stick
> to this) if it doesn't stay low, you won't "win" it because it is above
> the threshold you make....

Keep in mind that many self-bidders too use snipping to try to drive the
price of the final bid high. Experienced sellers can well judge the interest
and in many cases even the identity of potential snipers. When you place
an item under observation in your MyEbay folder the seller is notified.
Not the name but they can tell when. This is more information than meets the
eye. Items, for instance, going immediately into observation as they are
listed tells you a lot. Combine with experience and bids on similar items
and one can get a good feeling for who is interested and their probable
strategies.

Some may say.. But if they outbid the high bidder then the seller has to
pay the eBay fees and does not make a sale.. Sometimes but also.. not always..
Since "3 strikes and your out" applies to an account and accounts just need
an email address and these can be gotten by the 100s many sellers have a large
number of bidding accounts they collect over time to "burn". They notify eBay
that the winner is a non-payer and so get their fees reimbursed.

What does eBay have in common with "3 card Monty"?

Even notice all those snipes from accounts with 0 reviews but yet a few years
old? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm... Or bids on items that don't match someones profile
of previous wins but yet a history of bidding on a particular sellers item..
and.. often coming from the same town.. (more often than not the same
household). Shills are not specific to eBay but are common to most
livestock auctions.. eBay just makes it much easier and buyer uncertainty
higher..

As I say.. Its a more twisted game than meets the eye...