[pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 14:55:33 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Nick Zentena" <zentena@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 1:59 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Packard shutters?

> On Wednesday 16 February 2005 14:51, Gene Johnson wrote:
>> You could try a little wd-40, but almost all of them need
>> a good cleaning
>> by now.  Take the whole thing apart. clean the inside
>> well. You'll probably
>> need to polish the piston and bore. I chuck up an old
>> drill bit or
>> something wrapped well in a piece of rag that has been
>> wetted and had some
>> bon ami applied. Be careful that the drill bit is
>> entirely covered, or use
>> a piece of dowel or something instead. This will do a
>> nice job of the bore.
>>  Polish the piston with bon ami and a rag. rinse very
>> well with hot water
>> and dry with a paper towel.  I sometimes put a tiny bit
>> of wd-40 on the
>> piston now and again to prevent oxidation of the brass
>> and keep things
>>

> The more I practice the more I think most of the issue is
> with my technique.
> The main worry now is the tight bend the tubing had to
> make. But it's working
> the way I've rigged it. I guess an elbow fitting would be
> a smart thing to
> look for.
>
> Do you know how the flash setup is supposed to be? At the
> top of the shutter
> are two wires. One is soldered in place. One is soldered
> to a small piece of
> metal that is loose. Not sure if it's broken loose or if
> it's supposed to be
> that way.  Some how I doubt it left the factory that way.
> OTOH maybe it was a
> latter mod to the shutter.
>
> Nick

  Synch type Packards have two solder contacts at the top.
Both are fixed in place. If one is loose something has
broken. It may be easy to fix. I have seen Packard shutters
mounted with external flash contacts, usually a microswitch
with a spring metal strip extending to the top of the
piston. The contacts in factory synch Packards are internal.
   I think you may have to open up the shutter to see if
there is some broken part inside perhaps jamming it.

---